1 head cabbage, shredded
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup sunflower seeds or peanuts
3 tbsp mayonnaise - more to taste & texture (You can leave out the mayo and add apple cider vinegar and a bit of honey or sugar - just add until you think you have the right consistency.)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 tsp sugar
juice of 2 lemons or 1 lemon & 1 tbsp vinegar
OPTIONAL: 2 Granny Smith apples (chopped fine); 2 carrots (shredded or matchstick chopped)
2 tablespoons of caraway seeds
- After shredding cabbage, mash and squeeze it with your hands to bruise and soften it. (This makes it soooo much easier to digest.)
- Pour off any juice that may come from the cabbage.
- Put cabbage in bowl and add raisins, sunflower seeds, and chopped apples. Stir together gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, seasonings, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture onto cabbage mixture and mix well with your clean hands. (You can adjust the mayonnaise as needed.)
- Chill for 3 hours or overnight before serving.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography