My mama's fruitcake recipe - Even if you think you don't like fruitcake, this one will make a fan out of you! It's really delishhhhhhhh!
Makes 1 tube pan cake or 2 loaves.
1 cup butter
2 and 1/3 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white grape juice or peach brandy
1 pound walnuts, chopped
1 box golden raisins
1/2 lb. red candied cherries, chopped
1/2 lb. candied pineapple, chopped
4 egg whites, beaten stiff, not dry
2 cups flaked coconut
- Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy after each addition.
- Blend in 1 cup of the flour and then juice or brandy.
- Mix the remaining flour, walnuts, cherries, pineapple, and coconut. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Turn batter into a greased 10" tube pan lined with greased brown paper or baking parchment. Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake at 300° for 2 hours and 45 minutes or until cake tests done. If baking in loaf pans - cooking time will be shorter.
- Cool completely on wire rack before removing from pan.
- Brush cake with additional white grape juice or brandy. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Store in a cool place.
- Makes one 10 pound fruitcake or may be baked in 2 loaf pans in less baking time.