Read about my hate-love affair with sushi and how we came to make our own sushi in Uruguay: SUSHI SATURDAYS.
- Rinse the uncooked rice with cold water, until the water runs clear. Strain in colander or sieve.
- Add rice to 3 cups cold water in a saucepan.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce to low. Cover tightly and simmer on low for around 20 minutes. Check to see if water has absorbed. If not, continue cooking just a bit.
- In a separate saucepan, stir together rice wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and sugar. Heat over low heat until sugar has completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature; stir into rice.
- Stir until rice absorbs the new liquid and dries just a bit.