2 pound chuck steak - thick for braising
3 onions, cut into 4 pieces each
1 tbsp olive oil
1& 1/2 tbsp paprika ( I like the smoky kind!) - or hot pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups beef stock (You can buy this or make your own.)
3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 large or 3 medium red bell peppers, chopped (not so fine)
salt and pepper to taste
1 small carton sour cream
3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Trim fat off the chuck steak and cut the beef into 2 inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- In an oven-proof casserole or cooking pot, heat oil (don't let it smoke) and sauté steak over high heat until browned on all sides. Make sure to turn in as you cook.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion pieces. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and beef stock. Stir.
- Cover and put the pot in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 1 & 1/2 hours.
- Cut red peppers into coarsely chopped pieces and add to goulash. Stir. (Be careful getting it out of the oven!).
- Return to oven for one more hour until beef chunks are tender.
- Serve over rice with a dollop of sour cream and parsley on top!