Serves 4 to 5.
1 and 1/2 pounds chorizo or bratwurst sausage, sliced 1/2" rounds
1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 to 7 cups chicken broth
4 - 5 medium-sized red potatoes, cubed
bunch of fresh kale, washed, cut into pieces
3 cups cooked pinto beans (you can cook or get in a can and drain) You can use other beans, if you wish.
1/4 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, brown the sausage (attended) for about 5 minutes. Put sausage slices on a plate and set aside.
- There will be some fat in the pot, but add a tablespoon or more of olive oil and bring back up to heat. Sauté onions and and celery over medium heat until onions are just wilted. Stir in minced garlic and cook another 30 seconds or so.
- Stir in the chicken broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are nearly cooked.
- Add the chopped kale and cooked beans; cook 10 minutes more or until kale is soft, not tough.
- Last, add the sausage slices, wine, spices, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook another 5 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with crusty French bread and butter!