My husband's recipe for hummus - a little different take on a yummy appetizer.
2 cups chick peas (garbanzo beans), canned or fresh cooked from dried beans
2 Tablespoons Tahini (sesame butter)
zest and juice of 2 lemons
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional for heat)
salt and pepper to taste
For garnish: dash of paprika on top
If more liquid is needed, add teaspoons of tomato sauce.
- Combine all except paprika and tomato sauce in blender or food processor. If you're using a blender, you will need to separate into a couple of batches, until it's blended. Then combine.
- Blend or process until fairly smooth. If it's too thick, add a little tomato sauce. If it's too thin, don't worry too much - it will thicken as it cools.
- Transfer to serving bowl and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with paprika on top.
- Serve with toasted pita bread, raw veggies, crackers, tortilla chips, etc.
- Keeps in refrigerator for about a week.