Key Lime Pie Mousse
Ingredients for filling:
zest of 1 Key lime (or regular lime)
juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut in 1" chunks
2/3 cup whipping cream (not whipped)
Ingredients for crust:
2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs or similar cookies
2 T butter (melted)
Ingredients for topping:
3/4 cup of whipping cream
2 T sugar
**Note: This goes into individual glasses, Mason jars, or bowls. It's pretty, so I like to use a wine glass or a cocktail glass.
- Reduce cookies or graham crackers in food processor until fairly small. Place in bowl.
- Melt butter and combine with cookie crumbs, using a fork.
- Press into individual glasses - about 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep in each, depending on how much you like the crust!
- Place lime zest and juice, salt, sugar, and eggs in a saucepan and stir.
- Add chunks of butter and heat over low heat, stirring often until thick. When it coats the back of the spoon and you can leave a definite stripe with your finger, it's good. The thicker, the better, but DON'T LET IT BOIL.
- Use a very fine mesh strainer and strain the mixture into a bowl. You will have to kind of push it through the strainer.
- Let it cool in the fridge or set atop a bowl of ice for about 20 minutes, uncovered. Best to stir every 5 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream until high peaks form. GENTLY fold into the lime mixture.
- Carefully spoon onto the crust in each glass, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Leave room for the topping!
- Whip cream, adding sugar gradually. Whip until high peaks form.
- Spoon onto the top of your dessert. Garnish with a lime slice.
- Let chill for at least 2 hours or more before serving.