You can easily substitute limes for a Key Lime flavor! I also like to serve this dessert in wine glasses with a bit of crushed graham cracker or cookie crumbs in the bottom of the glass.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes.
- Keep beating and slowly add melted butter. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour all into a large saucepan and cook over low heat for about 12 - 15 minutes, stirring or whisking constantly. Don't stop!
- Pour mixture back into the bowl and cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- When cold, gently fold in whipped cream. Spoon into individual bowls or wine glasses. Garnish with lemon slices.