Lemon Splash Cake
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar
1 and 1/4 cups self-rising flour (if you don't have it look in the "Tips" section for a substitution)
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons milk
Zest of 2 lemons (then use the juice of these lemons for the glaze)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
"Splash" Ingredients (Glaze)
3/4 cup regular sugar
juice of the 2 lemons
- Grease your baking pan and line the bottom with baking parchment paper, if you have it.
- Put all the DRY cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Then add eggs and milk, beating until blended.
- Pour the batter into your baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes. Check to see if it's done - should be springy to touch.
- Remove from oven when done and let cool for 5 minutes. Then remove from pan, peel away baking paper, and place on a rack. Put a cookie sheet under the rack. It's going to get messy under there!
- Hurry and make your glaze - you need to put it on the cake while the cake's still warm and cozy.
- For the glaze - whisk or beat together sugar and lemon juice.
- I use a spoon and "splash" the glaze all over the cake.
- Serve warm or cool.