Mama used to eat all pies with a knife. Hmmm... There's a long history of me and this pie. Another story for another day.
Ingredients for pie filling:
1/2 c sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp cornstarch, sifted
4 tbsp all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 bar German Chocolate squares - broken up
3 tbsp butter
3 lg egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
1 & 1/2 c whole milk
Ingredients for meringue:
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp sugar, sifted
bottom pie crust - make yourself or buy the refrigerated easy kind
Directions for pie filling:
- Sift together sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Place in a saucepan; add milk and mix well. Add the German chocolate.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. (You MUST stir continually or it will stick.) Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg yolks. Add a small amount of the chocolate mixture to the yolks and stir well. Slowly add the egg yolks to the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter.
- Cool the mixture, then add vanilla. Place the cooled filling in a precooked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff; add sifted sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla. Beat well until whites form peaks.
- Pile on top of chocolate filling in pie shell.
- Bake at 300° until the meringue is light brown.