1 large fryer chicken
1/2 gallon shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 c cooking oil (I use part olive oil and part butter)
salt & pepper to taste
8 to 12 pods of okra, cut in slices
2 large onions (chopped medium)
6 tbsp flour for roux
4 cups chicken stock
(I like it spicy; Mama didn't.) Here's what I use to jazz it up:
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
cayenne pepper (sparingly)
bit of hot sauce or I sometime throw in a whole jar of medium-spicy salsa
- Stew one large fryer chicken in a large pot or pressure cooker about 2/3 full of water.
- When done, drain chicken - keeping broth set aside; debone chicken and put in a bowl.
- In a large soup pot, fry chopped onions (and celery / peppers, if using) in 1/3 cup oil until just cooked. Add garlic and okra (if using) and stir for a couple of minutes. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil and some butter to the soup pot. Heat up, but don't let it smoke. Add about 6 tbsp flour to the hot oil. Stir CONSTANTLY over medium heat until milk chocolate in color - do NOT burn!
- When the roux (flour and oil mixture) is ready, quickly pour in the onion mixture and stir, stir, stir for a minute.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth and stir.
- Add 1/2 gallon of shrimp that has been peeled and deveined. Cook over medium heat until all comes to a boil.
- Lower hear, add spices, salt, and pepper. Simmer until right consistency.
- Serve over rice.