Old Fashioned Pound Cake
4 sticks butter
2 & 3/4 cups sugar
4 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
- Sift together flour, salt, and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar, while beating constantly.
- Add eggs, one at a time; beating after each is added.
- Alternately beat in flour and milk at low speed, a small amount at a time. End with the flour. Beat until you don't see any lumps. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan and fill with batter. If the bottom is removable, you may want to add a circle of waxed paper or baking paper to the bottom.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Cool and remove from pan.
- Serve plain, with powdered sugar, with lemon glaze, or whipped cream and strawberries!