We're not even supposed to HINT the origins of this recipe. My secret source took a long time to convince. Those who have tasted this swear it's wonderful, so much so that they will do anything to protect the secret formula.
- Melt one stick butter in skillet over medium heat. (Don't burn!) Put onions in butter and saute' until wilted and translucent. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and salt to taste.
- Grease pie plate with a little butter. Take 1 tube of saltine crackers; crush crackers in small pieces, making a pie crust embedded in the butter. Sprinkle a coating of 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over top of pie crust.
- In small bowl, mix 1 egg in 1 cup of milk. Put onions and butter from the skillet on top of the prepared pie crust.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over top of onions. Cover all with the other 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 425°.