Osso Bucco (Light)
12 veal hind shanks from the butcher in 1 & 1/2 to 2" lengths
1/4 cup flour
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups chicken stock
1 & 1/2 to 2 cups white wine
1 very large or 2 small onions, chopped into small cubes
4 carrots, chopped into small cubes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon
bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 diced red bell pepper
1/2 tsp dried red peppper flakes
- Season shanks with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. To dredge, place flour in a plate and coat all sides of the shank. Shake off excess. Brown shanks in a large pot in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes each side. Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, saute' onions and carrots until slightly done. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add bay leaf and 2 or 3 cups of the chicken stock to the pot with shanks. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 2 - 3 hours (covered). Add more stock when necessary - keep checking.
- During the last hour of cooking, add the onion and carrot mixture to the shanks.
- Before serving, sprinkle in minced garlic and zest; stir gently.
- Serve over rice with chopped fresh parsley on top.
- Makes 4 servings of 3 shanks per person.