- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Rinse the chicken under cool water. Pat dry both inside and out. You want a crispy chicken, so this step is crucial.
- Put salt and pepper inside the chicken. Then tie the legs against the top of the chicken breast with cotton string.
- Liberally salt and pepper the outside of the chicken. I use Kosher salt, but it's not necessary.
- Put the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan. I have a small rack that fits inside my pan and use it to ensure the chicken cooks evenly.
- Put the pan in the preheated oven and leave it alone!! Bake for about an hour for a 2 to 3 pound bird. (Longer for a larger one) I use a meat thermometer to make sure it's done.
- When done, remove from oven and baste with its juices and a bit of butter. Let sit for about 15 minutes. (It never lasts this long at our house.)