2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken thighs and drumsticks (whole, not separated)
1 orange, juice & zest
1 tsp saffron, crumbled
2 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup white wine (can substitute chicken broth)
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 to 3 scallions, sliced thin
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
fresh green onions, chopped - for garnish
cooked rice for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large, heavy Dutch oven pot or other large pot. Carefully add chicken; watch out for oil spatters!
- Brown chicken on both sides. Lower heat to medium.
- Add orange juice, zest, all seasonings, wine, chicken broth, scallions, and garlic. Stir.
- Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, turning chicken over once about midway through.
- Turn off heat, remove pot lid, and let chicken cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Carefully transfer chicken and sauces to a large baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice with sauce and chopped green onions on top.