So easy and so flavorful!
Makes 4 - 6 servings.
3 to 4 slices of thick-style bread
1 cup breadcrumbs (see instructions below)
1 (2 to 3 pound) top sirloin steak - cut 2 to 3 inches thick
4 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toast bread slightly in oven, turning once. Let cool. Tear bread, including crusts and ends, into pieces and place in blender or food processor fitted with metal blade. Process until crumbly.
- Remove excess fat from steak. In a small bowl, stir butter, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper until blended. Spread on all sides of the steak.
- Mix the prepared breadcrumbs and cheese. Press into butter mixture on steak, coating steak well.
- Place steak in a clean brown PAPER grocery bag. Fold over ends and secure with paper clips or staples.
- Before cooking, make sure steak is at room temperature. Place bag on a cookie sheet or a large pan with sides (this is to catch drips).
- For rare steak, bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. For medium-rare, bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. For medium-well, bake at 375 for 50 minutes.
- When done, remove steak from bag. Let stand 5 minutes before carving into thin slidces.