2 pounds medium-size shrimp (peeled and deveined)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup onion, minced or chopped fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green onion, sliced
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Wash, peel, and devein shrimp. Add one teaspoon vinegar to a bowl of water. Soak shrimp about 3-4 minutes, then drain, rinse, and pat dry.
- Put shrimp in a large bowl or a large zip-lock bag. Add sugar, fish sauce, salt, pepper, spices, 1/4 cup of the onion, and half of the minced garlic. Put in refrigerator and chill for at least an hour or even overnight.
- Over medium high heat, sauté the remainder of the onion and garlic for just a stir or two - careful not to burn. Pour in the shrimp mixture (everything in the bowl or bag).
- Continue to sauté until most of the liquid is gone.
- Remove to a plate and garnish with green onions and lemon wedges.
- Serve with rice or noodles.