Texas Peach Pie
1 package of refrigerated pastry crust (for double crust)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup flour
5 cups sliced & peeled fresh peaches
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
- Place one of the pie crusts in a 9-inch pie pan. Brush with beaten egg.
- Put peaches in a bowl and gently stir in lemon juice.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour dry mixture over the peaches and stir to mix.
- Pour all into pie crust and dot with butter.
- If desired, cut top pie crust into strips and work into a lattice (see picture) or just put the other crust on top in one piece. Flue the edges to feel or press with fork dipped in egg.
- Brush egg over top crust. (If you left it whole, cut s few slits in the top to vent.)
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 °, then reduce heat to 350°. Bake for 30 to 35 more minutes until crust is brown. (Check after 15 minutes to see if edges are getting too brown. If so, then cover them with a bit of aluminum foil, cut into strips for rest of baking time.
- Cool just a bit before serving, but serve warm.