1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced thin
1 -2 carrots, cubed
1/2 cup celery
1/2 jalapeño pepper, sliced in rings
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 lemongrass stalk - cut into 3-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste (click for recipe)
4 cups chicken broth
1 can of coconut milk
1 and 1/2 cups of cooked, chopped chicken (or shrimp)
juice of one lime or lemon
2-3 green onions, sliced thin for garnish
fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a fairly large soup pot. Add onion, carrots, celery, jalapeño, lemongrass, and mushrooms.
- Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, stirring and watching to keep it from sticking or burning.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt, salt, pepper, and curry paste. Cook another minute.
- Add chicken broth and lime juice and stir. Bring all to a boil, then turn down to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass, as best you can.
- Add coconut milk and cooked chicken or shrimp. Heat until all is warm.
- Serve alone, over cooked rice or rice vermicelli noodles. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.