Like a little pie without a pan. Sort of like a turnover, but not. You can hold it in your hand to eat.
1 Buttery Pastry Dough (See recipe)
3 tbsp butter
2 medium - sized apples (I like Granny Smith!)
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash ground cloves (if you have them)
dash ground nutmeg
2 tbsp raisins
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1 tsp flour
2 tbsp cream
dash rum or brandy (optional)
1 egg yolk plus 1tbsp water, beaten with a fork
- Make 1 recipe of the Pastry Dough the day before or at least 2 hours ahead of time. Make sure that you chill it for at least a couple of hours before using. Don't be afraid to make this - it is SOOOO easy! Keep it refrigerated until after you have finished the apple filling.
- Peel apples and slice in very thin slices. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter and sugar over medium heat - stirring constantly for about 2 minutes until it starts to turn golden. Stir in flour, seasonings, and cream - stir continuously for about 1 minute.
- Add sliced apples and raisins; continue to stir until apples are softened, but not mushy! If the liquid mixture starts burning or sticking, lower the heat.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and a splash of rum or brandy (if desired). Remove from heat.
- Let apple mixture cool for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- Remove one of the pastry crust dough balls from the refrigerator, roll out one of the dough balls on a floured surface. (You can freeze the second one, as the recipe makes two big pie crusts. Or you can double this recipe and make 4 galettes.) Roll out two 9 to 10" circles - doesn't have to be perfect! Transfer the rounds to cookie sheets.
- Spoon the apple mixture onto the center of the pastry rounds, keeping a 2-inch margin around the edge with no filling.
- Bring up the sides of the dough to the top and cover the filling - like a little sack. Pinch closed and brush with egg yolk. Some purists like to leave the center open (See third photo above.), but I like to close it.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees.
- Cool for about 20 minutes before serving. Slice in half-wedges to serve. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, or just pick it up and eat it!