Baked CHicken and Rice
8 chicken thighs and legs (skin on)
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped medium
1 red bell pepper, chopped medium
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup peas, frozen
1 teaspoon turmeric or cumin
1 cup long-grain rice
1 and 3/4 cups chicken broth
juice of 1 orange or 1/2 lemon
- Melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven (large oven proof pot).
- Rinse chicken well and pat dry with paper towels. Add chicken to pot - skin down - and cook until browned, then flip and brown other side. (about 5-6 minutes on skin side and 2-3 on other side). Remove from pot and set aside.
- Lower pot heat to medium. Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, and bell pepper to pot. (If there's not enough oil, don't be afraid to add more). Sauté and stir for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add minced garlic and frozen peas to pot and stir another 2 minutes.
- Add seasonings, salt, pepper, and uncooked rice. Stir just a bit to get seasonings mixed in.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil for 3-4 minutes. You want the rice to absorb most of the liquid.
- Put chicken back into the rice mixture. Pour orange juice on top. Cover the pot and bake at 375 degrees in the oven.
- Ready when the chicken is done and rice is cooked. (about 25-30 minutes)
6. Remove the cover, fluff the rice and stir in the peas, carrots and green beans. Move the chicken to the top to make the skin crispy. Cook for 10 minutes more. Cover and let sit, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve.