2 pounds round steak
1 and 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
cooked flat noodles
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
- Trim away fat off of the round steak and cut it into thin strips. Set aside.
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a brown paper grocery bag (or on a clean plate). Either shake steak pieces in the bag or stir them around on the plate.
- In a large, cast iron or heavy bottom skillet, sauté onions and red bell pepper in about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Remove vegetables to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Add another 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and cook steak strips over medium heat until done - turning once or twice with tongs or a fork. Add undiluted cans of soup and about 1/4 cup of water to the meat and stir.
- Add mushroom slices and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the sautéed vegetables, stir, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in sour cream before serving, heat until all is warm again, then remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles. Garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley.