Chicken pot pie
Yields: 6 individual pies
1 package frozen puff pastry (thawed)
olive oil for sauté
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
3 tablespoons butter
1 and 1/2 cups onion, chopped medium
1 and 1/2 cups carrots, diced
3/4 cup celery, chopped med-small
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup frozen green peas
1 potato (diced small)
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried thyme or poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper (paprika, not spicy)
2 egg yolks plus 2 Tablespoons cream
For individual pies, I use 6 (12 oz.) oven-proof ramekins or mugs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add butter to pan, but don't let it burn!! Sauté chopped onions, celery, potato, and carrots until transparent and done - don't get too brown. Stir for about 4 minutes ; stir in minced garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add flour and stir continuously for 1 minute. Try to keep it moving and not sticking.
- Pour in the chicken broth, cream, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes until thickened; stir once in awhile to keep from sticking.
- Stir in peas and chicken and remove from heat.
- While the chicken mixture is cooling, roll out the puff pastry into a square on a floured board or counter. Set your baking dish top down onto the pastry, measure a circle about 1-inch larger than the dish top, and cut out 6 circles for pie crust tops.
- Spoon chicken filling into baking dishes, place pastry on top of each dish, and press edges firmly to seal it up.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and cream; lightly brush pastry with the mixture. Stick a fork into the top of the pastry in several spots, so it can "breathe."
- Place filled baking dishes on a cookie sheet (you may have some drips or leaking from the pies). Bake in a 400 degree oven about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving - inside is VERY hot.