Mike Ricker (my nephew) says, "This recipe is from a place called "The Country Emporium" in West Redding, Connecticut. They make bus out of it and make hamburgers that are smothered in blue cheese to go with it. Delicious. This is a favorite of mine and Cindy's.
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
1 cup creamed cottage cheese (lukewarm)
2 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tbsp butter
2 teaspoons dill seeds or 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve packet of yeast into warm water; set aside.
- Combine in bowl: creamed cottage cheese, onion, butter, dill seed, slat, soda, and egg. Add dissolved yeast. Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough. (You may need to add a bit more flour to adjust for consistency.) Beat well as you add the flour.
- Let rise in a warm place until light and double in size (about an hour).
- Stir dough down and turn into well-greased 8" round casserole (1 & 1/2 to 2 qt). Let rise again for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Yield: 1 loaf