Dulce de Leche Croissant Pudding
Makes 4 servings, but it's easy to halve.
4 croissants (stale)
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp water
2 cups whipping cream, yes, it's rich
4 tbsp dark rum (bourbon or cognac will do)
4 eggs, slightly beaten
Suggested toppings: reserved dulce de leche sauce, confectioner's sugar, raspberries, whipped cream, or ice cream!
- Lightly beat eggs in a bowl. Set aside.
- Tear up croissants and put them in a buttered or greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, stir together sugar and water, then cook over medium heat. You will need to stir CONTINUOUSLY to caramelize the sugar mixture. In about 4 or 5 minutes, you should be looking at a nice golden caramel color.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly pour in the cream to make a dulce de leche. Whisk a bit, then pour in the rum or whatever liquor you used.
- Keep whisking. If any solids are forming on the bottom, whisk them away, but don't worry too much.
- Remove from heat. Add a large spoonful of the dulce de leche mixture to the beaten eggs, whisking as you do.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs to the dulce de leche in the saucepan, whisking away over NO heat.
- Pour the dulce del leche over the croissants in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly, cut, and put slices on a plates. Top with your topping of choice.