This cake is famous! It has graced our family tables on many special occasions and travelled across many state lines with Mom.
The taste is so good, that could almost be considered bootlegging!
- Melt chocolate in double saucepan over boiling water or very carefully in microwave. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Sift or whisk flour with soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour into greased four round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Cool and frost tops only with recipe below.
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/3 cups shredded coconut (Mama used Angel Flake brand.)
- Combine milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat. until thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Add coconut and pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally.