- Cut very cold butter into 1" pieces.
- Stir together flour and salt, then cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles small peas. You can also use a food processor, if you have one. Either way, don't over blend this. Doing so makes the butter melt and there goes the flakiness...
- Add the cold milk one tablespoon at a time, while stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Stop adding milk when the mixture gets moist and begins to form a ball.
- Place the dough on a piece of wax paper and flatten it a bit with the rubber spatula or your clean hand. Place another piece of wax paper on top of it and then roll it out to the size of your pie pan.
- Remove the top sheet and flip it over into the pie pan. Trim the edges a bit and crimp. Don't stretch it too thin.
- If you are going to bake it before filling, use a fork to pierce a few holes in the bottom of the crust and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until just golden.
- If you are going to fill the pie, then do so and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake according to your pie recipe.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography