A guaranteed staple of Christmas gatherings - yes, they've made the rounds, but who doesn't like them?
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8" square pan.
- MAKE THE COOKIE BASE: Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar with a spoon until light and fluffy. Beat in sifted flour (1/2 at a time). Place in buttered pan and pat smooth. Bake 15 minutes.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour and sift into a bowl. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Pour batter over cookie base. Bake 25 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool.
- MAKE THE ICING: Combine confectioner's sugar and lemon juice; mix well. If too stiff, add more lemon juice, until creamy.
- Spread evenly over top of cooled bars. Set aside 15 minutes until icing hardens, then cut into 2 in. x 1in. squares. (Sounds tiny, but they're super rich!)
- Cover and let set several hours at room temperature before serving.
Yield: 32 - two by one inch bars