I spent the first 40 years of my life not knowing what a leek was. If you don't know - find out - they're delicious!
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 to 5 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
3 large leeks (1 pound), cleaned well and sliced thin (white parts only)
Now I use the green parts too, if they're not terribly tough. It's up to you,
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Cook potatoes and leeks in olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Stir and cook until softened - about 10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stock, stir, and bring all to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 35 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Blend until smooth, either using an stick-blender or by transferring to a blender in small portions. BE CAREFUL - remove the pot from the heat BEFORE using the hand stick-blender. If using a blender with a pitcher, DO NOT over fill - only fill about 1/4 full - the hot liquid will make it explode out the top and sides. Believe me, it's painful! Just buy a stick blender!
- Add the cream. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish serving bowls with chopped parsley before serving.