I do not want a gumbo recipe from the New York Times. I want a gumbo recipe from an old woman named MawMaw Thibodeaux-Landry, who can bare-knuckle box an alligator while reciting the Holy Rosary in Cajun French. - Punky Mantilla
- Heat butter, sauté onions; remove onions from pot and reserve.
- Add flour and blend well, bring to the color of milk chocolate brown. Stir constantly and DON'T LET IT BURN!
- Add water slowly and blend well. Add onions, okra, tomatoes, and shrimp.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low heat until tender.
- Serve with fluffy rice.