1/2 pound chicken livers (sautéed or boiled)
4 tbsp butter, softened
2 chopped shallots or 1/4 chopped onion
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup vodka, tequila, whatever (Most recipes call for brandy and that is fantastic if you have it!)
- In a skillet over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add onions or shallots and saute' until transparent.
- Add garlic and seasonings and continue to cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Stir in chicken stock and liquor (I even used beer in a pinch!). Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine cooked chicken livers and stock mixture in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides, occasionally. Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from food processor into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of softened butter. Stir with a whisk until thick and creamy. This takes awhile, but I'm convinced that whisking in that air "puffs" up this pate', making less fat necessary.
- Place pate' in a serving bowl and refrigerate several hours before serving. This can be made up to two days ahead of time; it just gets better the longer it sits.
- Serve with crackers or bread.