Promises and piecrusts are made to be broken. - Jonathan Swift
2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin (see below for cooking instructions)
1 tbsp olive oil – for greasing cookie sheet
1 cup half and half cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fresh grated ginger or ¼ tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup whipping cream (optional – for garnish)
1 pie crust (unbaked)
- To bake the pumpkin: I use a smaller pie pumpkin. Cut in half, and then scoop out the seeds and stringy “stuff.” Put a little bit of olive oil on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and spread around with a paper towel.
- Put the pumpkin cut-side down on the cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven until tender, about 45 minutes depending on the pumpkin’s size.
- Let the baked pumpkin cool for about 20 or 30 minutes. Scoop out the pumpkin from the skin with a spoon and put into a saucepan. Mash well with a potato masher or a large fork.
- Stir in the spices and the salt. Stir in the half and half cream. Simmer for a few minutes over low heat until it thickens and is thoroughly mixed. Remove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together eggs and sugar until mixed well. Stir in the cooled pumpkin.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into an unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is set and not too jiggly.
- Cool completely before serving. Garnish with whipped cream, dusted with nutmeg or cocoa.