A British classic - great with coffee or tea!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Put in the softened butter and rub it together with the flour mixture with your (clean!) fingers until it's a crumbly texture.
- Lightly beat the eggs and milk with a fork in a small bowl. Add eggs and raisins to the flour mixture and stir. You'll have a sticky dough!
- Knead the dough on a floured surface (just a bit) and roll into a rectangle about 3/4 inch thick - no thinner!
- I use the top rim of a drinking glass to cut out circles from the dough. Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12 - 14 minutes or until they rise and are a golden color. Cool on a wire rack.