8 ounce package or twirly pasta, cooked and drained
3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
4 large red bell peppers, sliced thin
1/2 onion, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup toasted sunflower seeds or chopped pecans
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain well and stir in frozen green peas. The hot pasta will thaw them! Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Wash peppers, remove seeds and slice into thin strips. Sauté peppers, onions, and red pepper flakes on medium heat in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently and don't let the onions burn. Remove from heat and place in large serving bowl with any oil and juices left in the pan.
- Add to bowl: Balsamic vinegar, basil, olives, seeds or nuts, pasta, and seasonings.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and gently stir or toss.
- Serve room temperature or chilled. (If serving chilled, let it sit out of refrigerator for about 10 - 15 minutes before serving.