1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 chopped onion
1 large chopped potato (peeled)
4 cups chopped yellow summer squash or zucchini
1 large or 2 small cloves of chopped garlic
olive oil for sautéing
1/2 cup white wine or orange juice
3 & 1/2 cups of water or vegetable broth (I just use water.)
1/2 to 2/4 cup of coconut milk (not coconut water)
Optional: cream or yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro, parsley, or basil for garnish
Seasonings: If you don't have some of these, just improvise or leave them out! The soup will still be great.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp mustard or 1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp paprika
dash red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté chopped onion, carrots, and potato in about 2 T of olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Cook until onions are a bit transparent.
- Add chopped squash and garlic and cook for about 4-5 more minutes, stirring to make sure it doesn't stick. If it starts to stick, add a little more oil.
- Pour in the wine or orange juice. If you don't have either one, just pour in some water. Add all the seasonings. Stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the water and stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer and cook for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- REMOVE THE POT FROM THE HEAT and use a hand stick-blender (or potato masher) and blend right in the pot. BE CAREFUL - don't leave the pot on the heat as you use the blender. All that stirring makes it heat up and hot bubbles will pop out on you! You can make this as creamy or as chunky as you want. My family likes it chunky, so I only blend a little bit.
- Return to heat and simmer. Spoon into serving bowls and swirl a spoonful of cream or yogurt on top and sprinkle with chopped cilantro, parsley, or basil before serving.