1 onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 tomatoes, diced and peeled
(You can substitute canned.)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup capers
1/3 c fresh basil, chopped fine
- (If you really want to peel the tomatoes, boil a big pot of water. With a slotted spoon, dip the tomatoes in the water for only about 20 seconds each. Remove and dip in ice water until cool. The skins slide off.)
- In a large pot, add little olive oil, sauté onions and peppers until just translucent over medium-low heat.
- Add in diced tomatoes (drain, if using canned) and seasonings (except fresh basil).
- Cook over low heat (uncovered) until tomatoes are tender and some of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in tomato paste and capers and cook a bit longer.
- Serve over cooked pasta of your choice, garnished with chopped basil.