Uncle Jimmy (James John Bellia) was amazing. He lived to be 95, working at the New Orleans Country Club well into his 80’s. He emigrated to the U.S. from Malta as a teenager, served in the U.S. Army, rode as a jockey in Chicago, and then catered for celebrities at the old Monteleone Hotel in New Orleans for many years.
- Peel bananas, slice in half lengthwise, then cut in half. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add sugar and cinnamon and stir well to mix. Heat for a few minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Then put the bananas in the skillet and sauté until soft and a little browned.
- Add the rum - but BE CAREFUL, IT MAY FLAME UP. If it does, just remove the pan from the heat.
- Lift out the bananas and put on serving plates.
- Top with ice cream and sauce from the pan.