This is so rich, moist, yet not too sweet. I like it without the glaze and just dusted with confectioner's sugar. I have made this without an electric mixer and it came out just fine.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, lemon zest, and melted butter. Beat until well mixed.
- Add in one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add ricotta cheese and juice from one lemon. (I think the first time I made this, I forgot to add the lemon juice. Still OK!)
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir or beat until mixed.
- Pour into 9" cake pan, spring form pan, 8" Pyrex square dish, or pie pan that has been greased and dusted with flour.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown. I usually have to bake it longer; it depends on the pan you use.
- Cool, then glaze (recipe below) or dust with confectioner's sugar. You can just leave it plain and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and juice of one lemon. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Using a spoon, drizzle and spoon over cooled cake.